Friday 6 April 2012

What Kind Of Media Insititution Might Distribute Your Media Product?

Going back to my media institutions post, where I researched what distributors and publishers were out there currently, I decided that Oyster House Media LTD was the best choice. This was due to the fact that they publish and distribute magazines such as:
  • Acoustic Magazine
  • Guitar Buyer Magazine
  • Base Guitar Magazine
  • Drummer Magazine
  • RIB Magazine 

I thought it would be the best option as these magazines have been successful under this distributor due to having specific experiences with selling these type of publications. However, after further analysis, I thought that Bauer Media Group or even IPC Media would be good companies to choose from to help make my magazine a more mainstream, thriving publication like other existing ones they produce currently. 


After comparing IPC and Bauer Media Institutions against one another, I decided that Bauer Media Group would be best, as is a comglomerate company, that does not distribute the same genre of music my magazine is aimed at cureently. Therefore, I believe that my product would be more successful under this management because it is different from there other publications they produce such as Kerrang, Q, Empire, Mojo etc, meaning they could concentrate on focusing on my target market a lot more successfully. Although they may be have much experience in this music genre, this company distributes some of the most successful magazines in the world i.e. Empire with 745,000 copies purchased every month. Considering my magazine is bi-monthly, this is another reason why I would choose this distributor due to the fact is has such high success with its bi-monthly magazines.
Additionally, acoustic magazines are usually a rather niche market, therefore I believe this company could help fill the gap in the market for a new fresh acoustic magazine, making it more or a mainstream genre. This would appeal to the younger audiences, in comparison to the older generation ones that exist already such as "acoustic" magazine (which is primarily for males). Another reason why I think this institution would be best suited for my magazine, is that the other publications it does distribute, are roughly around the same age range as my target audience, compared to my original option of Oyster House Media, who produce magazines for more the older male generation. 
The kind of place that may wish to distribute my magazine are retail services such as WHSmith. In WHSmith there are a variety of magazines that are available, and it would be a perfect place to attract the attention of my intended audience When researching, I went into different stores and noted down the magazines that they sold. Out of all the shops that I went in, WHSmith was the only store that sold a wider range; others stuck to fashion, celebrity, male interests, puzzle, and a very slim choice of each genre were available. Newsagents may be less likely to distribute my magazine as the demand for Acoustic magazines is not as high as other magazines. For example, TV Guides, Celebrity Gossip, Fashion and Rock magazines; newsagents will only distribute the most popular magazines. Therefore, I believe WHSmith would be my best bet.


No comments:

Post a Comment