Sunday 29 January 2012

First Draft - Contents Page

As I am a rather indecisive person, I decided to make two contents pages and then compare them, before choosing which one I feel looks the best suited for the school magazine. As I have included the "miss" theme, I cooperated this idea in the slogan "you're 'MISS'ing out!". By using this as the slogan at flows with the title "Rumour Has It". I also ensured that I kept continuity throughout the layout with the "Southfield School" logo and the rose on the right hand side of the page, like I did on the front cover. 


With this picture above, I thought I'd go against the conventional ideas of a magazine contents page, where you usually have one main image for your cover story, a list of what's inside the magazine and maybe a comment from the editor themselves. I decided to include the editors comment but have a variety of little pictures to show who was who out of all the "miss" theme titles. Even though it is good to see a picture of who is who, I think the page is a little too busy and the reader may get confused by what the main story line is as it is not clear. Also, there are no page numbers mentioned on this page, so the reader will also be unsure which story is where until the flick through the magazine.


With this image above, I thought I'd stick to the conventional ideas of a magazine contents page, with one main picture as the cover story, a list of what's inside the magazine and a comment from the editor myself. By including the sub headlines of "contents" and "welcome" helps to separate the editors comments, from the list of what is contained in the magazine. Additionally, I kept to the 3 colour-scheme to make the target audience that I am aiming at, feel like they are more involved in the magazine and it is only for their eyes only. By including what is inside the magazine, the reader can instantly see what is published in it, as well as what pages to turn to, to read a specific story. Also, the fact I used a different picture of Neha (to the front cover) but still ensured that in the image she was wearing the same clothing, positioned in the same background, shows continuity, which I have tried to keep through this preliminary task. Even though, I'm not so keen on having a picture of myself on the magazine, I think it was best that I put the image on there so the audience who is reading this magazine, know who I am.

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you've used mini photos around the front of the cover, it really make its stand out and look visually interesting rather than just using lots of words:)

    ReplyDelete