Thursday 16 February 2012

Evaluating Music Magazine Deconstructions

After looking at a variety of music magazines front covers, contents pages and double page spreads, it has helped me learn about the typical conventions that is included and the particular house styles I prefer and may wish to include in my music magazine. This particular exercise of analysing each magazine has helped we make lots of decisions, from realising what appeals to me and what does not as well as what target market I would like to aim my music magazine. Even though, I'm still unsure of what genre to base my music magazine on at the moment, I have decided to aim my publication at mid-late teens to early twenties e.g. 16-21.

Front Cover:
I believe that a big, bold mast head and a striking main image should be the two key areas to focus on, as they say a lot about the magazine, as well as making engaging the audience more effectively. Therefore, I will try and ensure that I consider that fact when it comes to making my front cover. In particular Q's and NME mast head caught my attention as they were striking due to the use of colour and font they used. Even though the majority of the magazines I have analysed have had contrasting, bold colours, I think I prefer a muted colour palette, with only a few bright colours highlighting the key features, as I believe that less is more and with too many colours, the page will look cluttered and messy! With fewer colours, especially used for the cover lines, they will complement each other better as well as them being easy on the eye. I could try to keep to a conventional 3 colour scheme depending what working with the background I end up choosing. I will also try to incorporate a simple yet effective front cover, meaning that I need to have the right balance with not having too much text on the page, as it could detract from the main image. Throughout my analysis, I noticed that all the front covers main images had their models giving direct mode of address, which helps to engage their audience to buy their magazine. This to me is a clever concept and convention that I would like to incorporate in my magazine. Not only this, but a mid shot is usually used on the front cover, and normally positioned centrally, so the text can go around it and stand out on the page. I think I will stick to the mid shot on the front cover and play around with it, seeing if it looks better on the left, right or central. The use of a burst, on the front cover, seems consisted on each magazine that I have deconstructed and therefore, I think I shall stick to this convention when producing my final front cover.



Contents Page:
Out of all the contents pages I have analysed, I particularly like Q's, as they have a simple and neat layout, which I found was the most effective. Each contents page was different to stand out to their target audience and I believe that with a simple, yet effective design for my contents page will appeal to my target market. Some magazine, seem to try and fit as much as they can in, which I think can confused the reader, not being sure where to look first. Also, a plain background, clear layout of text, a prominent photo makes a more effective contents page in my opinion. Additionally, I will ensure that I include page numbers in my contents page, as they help to navigate and locate a particular article, the audience wants to read. Another element that seems to be conventionally included in magazines, are mini pictures, as well as a main image on the contents page. Therefore, I believe I should stick to this convention.

Double Page Spread:
For my double page spread, the textual analysis and comparing what typical conventions I could find in each magazine really helped me develop my ideas for when I begin to create my magazine. I think overall, I preferred Top of the Pops double page spread as its layout would appeal to girls (which are my chosen gender for my target market) more than Q's and NME's. What I predominantly liked the most, was the main image covering both pages and having an interview of the band they were talking about. As I am of the age I would like to aim my magazine at, I would like this sort of feature as it is more appealing than a chuck of text on a page with a few pictures. I will ensure that I take into consideration that this example of Little Mix's article is written for Bubble Gum Readers and I will therefore, ensure I use language that appeals to my age group chosen. I really liked the idea of using drop capitals like in NME and Q, as it is easier to the audience to navigate to the start of the main text of writing. Even though my favourite double page spread was Top of the Pops, they didn't use drop capitals, which I think could have made the text stand out more if they had included it. However, the use of different colours used for the questions and answers would be a good concept to contain, which I may decide to include on my double page spread. Furthermore, the use of the pull out quotes from the text enlarged, which therefore takes up a lot of space, I like too as this acts as a device to lure the reader in, encouraging them to find out more. When it comes down to choosing my font, I think a sans serif font used for the double page spread will add a sense of informality, keeping a casual conversational feel to the magazine, as well as presenting it as new and modern publication. Page numbers, will definitely be included on my double page spread, as without them the audience would spend a long unnecessarily amount of time looking for the specific story.

No comments:

Post a Comment