Saturday 31 March 2012

Comparing My Third Drafts Against My Final Drafts

And now for my OCD to take place...My final drafts! After looking at my third drafts carefully, I decided to look at the little details and make sure there wasn't anything else that I could do to improve my final drafts. By looking back at my analysis of "acoustic magazine" and going back to basic with the typical conventions you would find in and acoustic magazine (and in general music magazines) I felt this helped me create my final drafts the best they can be. Below shows the comparisons between my third and final drafts...

Front Cover:
The overall changes that I made to my front cover was emboldening my masthead using Photoshop, to make it stand out more and catch my target audience's eye. As well as this, I added a bottom banner, where it has the tag line of the magazine "stay tuned with tuned in" and placed the "Britain's new acoustic magazine" at the top on the sky line, as I felt where it was placed before wasn't readable. I also changed the font colours around with the "on tour" and "find out how to win tickets" bit, as I felt again they could be more visible, so that was the main reason I changed the colours of this particular features.

Contents Page:
On the whole, I would say that OCD came in handy with my contents page, as I nearly missed out some crucial features that a typical acoustic magazine includes! For instance, they normally have subheading to split up there sell lines into different sections, which I ensured that I added in the end, as you don't usually find magazine having there features in numerical order, like I had done in all my drafts up to that point. Another thing that I noticed was missing on my contents page was to put the page number next to my thumbnails, so the reader knew where to find this particular story. Additionally, I read through the contents of my sell lines and realised there were too many exclamation marks, which resembled a pop magazine, so I took all of them out, as this wasn't a typical convention in acoustic magazines. Furthermore, I read through my editorial and realised it was a bit too chatty (although that relaxed, welcoming friendly atmosphere is what I was trying to achieve) I felt the "Hey guys" was again something you would find in a younger magazine. Therefore, I took that bit out and started it off with "welcome" as it is a new magazine, so that would be the best way to start the editorial off. Also, other little details that I picked out was every time I said the title of my magazine "tuned in" I changed the font to the same one as the front cover as well as the same font colour to keep continuity. Lastly, to ensure all of the contents fitted on (as some of the free space was taken up by the adding of the subheadings) I had to shrink the font size down to fit everything onto the page.

Double Page Spread:
As for my double page spread, I again feel my attention to detail, helped me improve my final drafts from my third.  One of the main improvements to my double page spread, is that I included the word "exclusive" at the top of the article. It may not be much, but I feel this was what the article needed to help it stand out and catch the audience's eye, plus it reinforces how exclusive this interview is as it was mentioned on the front page as well as the double page spread. Another improvement I made was to the article itself. As I felt there was a gap from where I had moved the pull out quote previously, I thought something needed to go there. Due to the fact I had included my 4 original pictures, I decided another pull out quote would full this gap. Therefore, I had to add some more context to my interview so I was able to pull out the quote I wanted to place in the space by the bench. I believe this particular quote reinforces that the artists is an acoustic one, due to her love for being outside, which in a way you would stereotypically think of when it comes to existing artists from this genre, as their music videos (as researched) where shot outside. Lastly, one of the most important features, I nearly forgot to include was the page numbers either side of the page! Without these it would be extremely different for the reader to navigate to each page. Therefore, if someone wanted to turn to page 24, from looking at the contents page, they would have to count the number out instead of just flickering to that page by looking for it at the bottom.

Conclusion:
Overall, I am happy with how my final drafts have turned out and I feel I have made a lot of progress since my very first draft! I believe that it does look more like a realistic acoustic magazine, as I have tried to stick to all the typical conventions you would find in an existing magazine form this genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment