Saturday 10 March 2012

My Design Philosophy


After doing thorough research into looking and analysing the typical conventions of music magazines, I have a vision of what designs I like and do not like to include in my publication. As well as this, I have more of a clearer idea of what I want to include in my product and what I want my publication to look like. Looking back through my previous post, I believe the Four F’s are the most important factors to the design of any music magazine.

I have noticed that throughout music magazines, continuity is key! So I will try and keep the format the same e.g. keeping sell lines fonts on the front cover, in the contents and double page spread the same. The formula for my magazine, I will need to keep in mind, as this is what particular elements make up the product.  Also, this is where the readers can easily navigate around the magazine, for example, acoustic artists interviews as usually presented in the centre, so I need to stick to this convention. Frame is also important in my magazine, as I need to make sure the margins and gutters around each page are the same. Lastly, the function of the magazine needs to be clear, so my target audience can tell is it an acoustic magazine, just by looking at the front cover (but also keep the theme throughout my publication of course!). 

To ideologies matter?
Ideologies do have a rather huge impact on the design of magazine. This is due to the fact that audience are used to particular layouts, house styles and colour schemes for certain genres in the music industry. Therefore, if I did decide to challenge the ideology, would confuse the reader in thinking that my product is mean to be aimed at another genre instead of acoustic style music. For example, an ideology in my particular genre, acoustic, you would expect someone to have a natural looking pose, playing or holding a guitar in their hands. If I decided to change the pose to a cheesy smile, wearing bright colours and holding a lolly pop, to represent a more pop ideology, this would confuse the reader, doubting their initial thoughts they had when thinking of this genre. I believe ideologies must be stuck to, just like sticking to the target market needs, as they are most the important factors when designing a new magazine publication. 

Retro Vs. Modern
With retro designs, they are most probably more atheistically pleasing on the eye for readers, however, many publications has done retro design before, so I don’t think I will try and recreate something that is already out there.  Also, to suit my genre of music I want to create for my magazine, the target audience I believe would prefer a more up to date magazine, with up to date music, features and everything else I would like to include for my product. If I did try to do a retro design for my magazine, I don’t think it would work for an acoustic genre, plus I don’t think it would appeal for my target market either. As your audience’s needs are the most important things to keep in mind, when making any type of media text, I will ensure I stick to a modern magazine.

Conventional Vs. Unconventional
If someone is aiming to create a mass market, successful magazine, then a conventional design would be the most obvious choice to choose. However, original and unconventional publications like David Carson's Ray Gun, can also be a hit with some people, as he produce over 70 copies of the publication before it went out of business. Therefore, as it went out of business, it shows that audiences prefer familiar conventional magazine, as they are more likely to lose interest in original designs. In my case, the specification says to create a conventional magazine, so I am going to stick to the conventions you would find in any music magazine, such as direct mode of address for the front cover and the typical things you would aspect to see in an acoustic magazine e.g. have a guitar on the front cover. Overall, I will stick to an conventional magazine, as it will most likely appeal to my target market.

Minimal Vs. Cluttered Design
In my opinion, less is more, as it seems more sophisticated, as well as presenting the magazine a in having a neat and tidy layout. Although some people may argue that having a cluttered front cover tells the audience more about the magazine, making them want to find out more, I personally think that it could come across messy and too much for the audience’s eye to take in straight away. However, if you are creating a Rock magazine, then this would be the sort of look you are going for, so a cluttered design would be best. When it comes to my design I think I will use steer towards more of a more minimal design, but not having hardly any sell lines to make the publication look bare. Even thought, when I analysed “Acoustic magazine” it had about 7 sell lines in total, their target audience was aimed at the older generation, which would most likely appeal to them, however, for my age range, a cluttered design could scare off my readers by implying there is too much reading involved. Therefore, I will have to get the balance right for my design, as I think I will try and aim for something in between these design, as I want my publication to appeal as well as intrigue the reader to find out more!

Colour
When analysing some existing acoustic magazines, I discovered, they mainly included nature colours to o with the natural theme you usually find in one. As I deconstructed “Acoustic” magazine, which is typically aimed at males, they had colours that were rather masculine and dull. Therefore, as I am primarily aiming mine at females, I will use more female colours which as atheistically pleasing. I will try and make my publication, include natural looking colours and stick to the 3 colour scheme you most likely find in music magazine publications.

Consistency Vs. Inconsistency
I have a tendency to be a bit of a perfectionist and therefore, I’m kind of a sucker for consistency. Therefore, I am going to try and keep the same house style and continuity throughout my front cover, contents page and double page spread.  I believe that the colour scheme as well should be the same, to show there is a particular house style and make the publication look more neat and tidy. If I was making a rock magazine, being inconsistent would give iot a more “edgy” look, however, as I am creating an acoustic magazine, I think I will stick to be consistent, as it will appeal to my target market more.

Eye for Detail
This is a key aspect to keep in mind, when designing and creating a music magazine, as it help tie everything all together, making the publication look professional. I believe that if someone has spent a lot of time perfecting their product which shows as they make the publication more professional.  Also, in my opinion, if it looks like you have taken care with your work (in this case magazine) the audience are more likely to buy the publication, as it is such good quality. Everything to the last little detail matters, so I will keep this in mind when creating my front cover, contents page and double page spread for my magazine.

Conclusion:
I will make sure that I take on board all of these headings when it comes to me designing my front cover, contents page and double page spread for my magazine. This post has helped me a lot as it has help me have more of an idea of what I want my magazine to look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment